Friday, June 27, 2008

Worst recall plan ever

Put yourself in this situation: You work for a company that manufactures cribs. You start getting reports that the spindles and wooden slats in your cribs are breaking, causing children to get hurt. You decide to issue a voluntary recall before word gets out and you get too much negative press. How would you work the recall?

Jardine Enterprises has decided to handle it in the most illogical fashion I've ever seen. We purchased Lauren's crib from Babies'R'Us shortly before she was born, without really looking at the brand. Turns out it's a crib that is now being recalled. I registered our information online to get the voucher, and this is how they're handling it:
--Enter info online and wait for a package to arrive from UPS with instructions on how to get the voucher. Keep in mind that Jardine advises to stop using the crib immediately.
--When that package arrives, it will include a return mail package. I'm supposed to take apart the crib and mail back the mattress support plates, bolts and identification label. Wait, it's not mail, it's UPS so I have to go to a UPS store or drop box, or schedule a pickup.
--Wait 1-2 weeks after sending the hardware back for the voucher to arrive, at which point I can go to Babies'R'Us and buy a new crib.

See any problems here? Where's my kid supposed to sleep?!?!?!? My plan: go to Babies'R'Us and buy a new crib now, and when I finally go through all the rigamarole, return the crib and repurchase it with the voucher. That's all fine in my situation, but not everyone has an extra $200 lying around to buy a new crib (the vouchers won't give you any money back if you buy a crib less than the voucher's value, so you better make sure you buy one that's expensive enough!). Those families will end up with children sleeping in a crib their parents now know to be dangerous. I also haven't confirmed yet that Babies'R'Us will go along with my plan since they're not open yet. I tried calling the Jardine recall hotline, which is supposed to be open, but no one answered after 10 rings!!!

Bottom line: don't buy anything from Jardine Enterprises.

No comments: