Sunday, June 15, 2008

I didn't do one of these last year?

Father's Day #2 is now officially under the belt. I went back through the blog to see what I wrote last year, and apparently I wrote nothing. I'm a horrible wife. Now I feel this horrible pressure to make this Father's Day thank you incredibly deep and sappy. Unfortunately, I don't really live in that zone. I'll do my best.

Before having Lauren, Chris and I were both a little scared of what kind of dad he would be, mostly because he wasn't completely sold on the idea of having kids to begin with. Then she arrived. And it was still a little rocky for a few weeks. Now that I'm no longer sleep-deprived or hooked up to a milking machine, I completely understand why. Feeding a baby is one of the most intimate things you can do, and breastfeeding completely cuts Dad out of the picture. Then the magical day: Chris was the only one that could get Lauren to stop crying. Everything changed in that instant. He went from a scared, hesitant procreator to a true father.


That all bumped up a notch once I went back to work and he went part-time. Now I was the one asking him what to do with Lauren, instead of the other way around. He started taking her to doctors appointments and shopping for baby food, although he never really caught the bug for buying baby clothes. That must be a purely female genetic thing.

Fast forward to now and he's a much different man than before Lauren arrived. Not that he wasn't a good guy, but he has a much more serious sense of purpose and is willing to do anything for his little girl. I still think there's nothing better than seeing a father and his daughter hugging, laughing, dancing and generally having a good time.

So Chris, thank you for giving me the best gift I could ever wish for.

No comments: