Sunday, November 4, 2007

When did November 1st turn into the day after Thanksgiving?

Did I misplace my calendar? Did Congress pass some new act changing the date of Thanksgiving from the 3rd Thursday in November to November 1? Kind of like messing with the time change? Please tell me. Because I'm about to boycott Christmas.

Case #1:
It all started on October 30. Being the procrastinator that I am, Chris and I took Lauren to Target to buy her Halloween costume. I figured we'd get some good deals since we waited so late. We get to what used to be the Halloween section, only to find that it was now a tree farm. All Halloween stuff was moved to the endcaps (the things on the ends of the aisles), and all the Christmas trees, stockings, lights, snowmen, etc. was now in its place. In October. Even their website is holiday-fied.

Case #2:
I went to lunch at Olive Garden with my mom on Friday, November 2. Yummy salad and breadsticks. All was fine. Then the bill came, with the little Andes mints. I love those, so I snatched mine right up. Until I saw the wrapper. It had holly leaves on it and said "Happy Holidays."


Now, if the graphic was a pumpkin and turkey, it might not have bothered me, but holly leaves are a sure sign of Christmas.

Case #3:
On the Today show yesterday morning, they had a segment on how to find the right type of coat for your body. I know, earth-shattering news. When the models came out, they were standing in front of white Christmas trees.


"Winter Wonderland" was playing in the background. I suppose you could argue that "Winter Wonderland" is technically not a Christmas song, but when combined with traditional Christmas decor, I think it is. I turned the channel to SportsCenter.

I could go on and on. Maybe I'm oversensitive due to my past life working in retail, but I think it's gotten ridiculous. Stores had sales this weekend that are supposed to rival those of the traditional Black Friday. It's just not fun anymore.

I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not to boycott all things Christmas, such as card sending and gift giving. Maybe I'll just refuse to actually buy anything and just regift or hand make my gifts. That sounds like a lot of work, though. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: