Monday, December 11, 2006

The Bilek Family Sleeps

Let me start by apologizing for the lack of posts. I just start this thing up and I'm already slacking. Let's see, what should I use for an excuse? Well, I spent all day Friday making candy with my mother, one of our holiday traditions. Then a holiday wine and cheese party, followed by recovery from the wine and cheese party. Then a great, full day with the little turnip.

In general things are great. We're happy to report that Lauren is officially sleeping through the night. She's been sleeping 5-6 hours at night for about 2 weeks now, but we were scared to jinx it by posting anything. We still have the occasional 3am wet diaper, but she goes right back to sleep after we lay her in the crib. One strange thing does happen, though. If I wake up, Lauren wakes up about 15 minutes later. Even if I don't move or make a sound. This makes getting ready for work in the morning very interesting. I get up and race to get dressed, do my hair and put my makeup on as quickly as I can. I've given up on morning showers. Why doesn't Chris get up with her? Because he stays up with her for the last feeding of the night at 11:30, so he doesn't get to bed until 12-1am. He's got that last feeding down to a science so that Lauren goes right to sleep without any rocking or coaxing. He just lays her down in the crib awake and she goes to sleep. Amazing!


As far as playtime goes, Lauren likes anything that involves sitting or standing up. No laying down. At all. It's great, except she can't sit or stand on her own yet. So, we're getting a great upper body/arm workout. No need for a gym membership when you have a baby. She also enjoys her play mat and has started to reach for toys and try to grab them. She's still not quite sure of what to do with those things on the ends of her arms, but apparently they taste good.

Her vocabulary is rapidly expanding, and she'll go on for about 30 seconds of little baby noises and an intent look on her face like she's telling us her innermost secrets. Unfortunately, she didn't provide us with a dictionary to decipher the meaning of any of her sounds. She has started "talking" even when she's not happy now. I think it's the equivalent of yelling. Not so much crying, but definitely yelling.
Hopefully that's enough to tide you over for awhile. Things are about to get crazy with family for the holidays, but I'll do my best to update on Lauren's first Christmas.

No comments: