Monday, November 27, 2006

Parenthood

As most of you know, we were recently blessed with a beautiful, healthy little girl. Lauren Olivia was born on September 27, 2006 at 5:08pm. She was 20" long and weighed 8 lbs. 3 oz. The first 2 months of parenthood have been the greatest learning experience of my life. Here are a few things I've learned since becoming a parent:

1. It is possible to function on less than 3 hours of sleep for several weeks at a time. Not pleasant, but possible.
2. Diaper contents are an acceptable topic of conversation with other new parents.
3. The best possible way to start the day is with a laugh and smile from your daughter.


4. Grandparents will always spoil their grandchildren. Thank goodness!
5. An overnight trip with a 2-month old requires one bag for the parents (combined) and 4 bags for the baby.
6. It is impossible to leave a store with a baby department without buying something for the baby.

On a more serious note, I guess the biggest thing I've realized is that all the things I used to think were important are nothing when compared to the surreal task I've taken on. To be responsible for the life of another human being is turning out to be the hardest and most enjoyable thing I've done in a long time.

What makes all this even better is that I have great friends to share it with. The Thornburgs son, Tenzin James, arrived on October 25, and we're already planning their wedding. We used to spend random Sunday nights with a few drinks and a game of poker. Now it's watching Heroes on Mondays while trying to keep the babies quiet. I can't wait for Lauren and Tenzin to grow up enough to play together. For now, they just hang out in the Pack 'n' Play. Tenzin's on the left, Lauren's on the right.


No comments: