Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is it over yet?

I'm so glad we're down to a little over 2 weeks before the *^#@& election! Campaigns and candidates stopped saying anything new, relevant or positive long ago, and I'm totally sick of it. My mind's made up, so stop with the freaking ads!

As usual, Ohio is a battleground state, so of course we have the two presidential candidates in town all the time. I just got an email from work saying that Michelle Obama will be in town tomorrow at 11:30am and John McCain/Arnold Schwarzenegger will be in town on Halloween at 5pm (costume party, anyone?). Both of those events are non-ticketed, which means the throngs of people coming to them should make my commute from work just hellish. Not to mention the rolling road closures. Yet another reason to hate election season. Maybe someday Ohio won't be seen as so crucial and everyone can just go away.

I also just finished my annual enrollment at work, yet another annoying, complicated process. Why health care insurance is tied to your employer completely boggles my mind. In any case, we made the big change of going to a high-deductible health plan this year. If my math was right, we'll come out ahead, and get to keep any money we put in our Health Savings Account (HSA). It's a scary change, considering we now have a $2520 deductible before anything is covered, but the cost for the plan is so much lower ($15 vs. $114 per pay) that it still makes sense. I truly believe this is where all health care plans are going...more self-funded, with encouragement to do so by employers. Nationwide is contributing $1100 to my HSA next year, which is a pretty darn good incentive to go to a plan like this. And actually, I like the idea of having my money sitting there, earning more money, and just being used for me instead of everyone else. Check back with me this time next year and we'll see how it actually turns out.

No comments: