Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The answer is no. You guess the question.

Finally! AEP has released estimated power restoration dates by neighborhoods. Unfortunately, the news for us isn't so good.


We're in that patch of red which means 90% of that area will be restored by Sunday. It could actually be later. I have to say the novelty has definitely worn off, and Chris and I are both getting pretty stressed out by the whole situation. We're doing our best to go with the flow, but it's getting harder now that we've gone 3 nights without power and are looking at another 4 nights before there's any hope of light.

We did see 2 power trucks in our neighborhood last night, which was an encouraging sign. At the same time, I haven't seen any improvement at all in the number of traffic lights that are out. It's really sporadic, and I think people are starting to get less patient with treating them like 4-way stops. Area schools are still closed. Columbus City Schools says over 1/3 of its school buildings are still without power. They have additional concerns because their transportation communication systems (radios, GPS, etc.) are still out, and the traffic light situation makes it more dangerous for kids walking to school.

About 30 area grocery stores are still closed or selling only non-perishable items, and I have yet to see ice available anywhere. Thank goodness we have resources to get some elsewhere. My latest gripe, well, more jealousy I guess, is that 2 of my neighbors have generators powering their homes. It's so frustrating to look out my window at 2 other houses with real lights and TVs going while we're trying to keep ourselves entertained by playing Monopoly by candlelight.

Alright, enough complaining for a Wednesday morning. Have a great day!

No comments: