Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quick update

My life is officially a roller coaster. I haven't decided yet if it's a good one or not, only time will tell. The last two weeks have been a little bit insane, mostly because of work. My boss took a new position at Nationwide, leaving her responsibilities open. Those responsibilities included managing 3 people (including myself). Due to some really boring "state of the insurance market" stuff, Nationwide is being extremely judicious in hiring and staffing open positions. So what happened? I got all my boss' old responsibilities. So, now I manage 2 people, do all my old work, plus the additional work that my boss used to do. I didn't officially get her old job title, but I did get a little bit of a promotion and the opportunity to prove myself in a managerial capacity. Frightening, I know.

I also signed myself up to attend a Women's Leadership Conference in San Diego. One of the great things about Nationwide (or at least the people I've worked for here) is that they really care about personal development. Since having Lauren, I've really struggled with being a full-time working mom. Nobody else makes me feel guilty, but every once in awhile I feel like I'm letting her down. But at the same time, I know I couldn't be a stay at home mom. It's hard work and it's rewarding in its own way, but I need other kinds of challenges and rewards. So, I'm hoping this conference will help me network with other women from across the country and learn some strategies for really being successful as a woman in the business world. That, and it's on Coronado Island in San Diego Bay.

One last tidbit: we signed Lauren up for swim lessons. Chris is taking her on Thursday mornings for the next 6 weeks. I'll post more tomorrow, since today is her first class.

1 comment:

James, Rachel and Tenzin said...

Where can I sign up to go to the Women's Conference?