Friday, April 4, 2008

I don't want to be environmentally conscious if it means my desk smells like ass.

A couple weeks ago Nationwide announced they were switching janitorial services. I know, earth-shattering news. Part of the deal is that they'll be emptying trash less frequently, thus sending fewer plastic liners to landfills and reducing our carbon footprint. No seriously, that's what the release said. And it's saving us over $1 million a year.

My work group has discovered what this actually means: trash cans at our desks get emptied twice a week now instead of every night. Did I mention that we all eat lunch, and some of us breakfast, at our desks? Guess where the takeout containers go? Guess what my desk smells like!!!!!!

If we're really trying to do something good for the environment, why did the cafeteria switch to all styrofoam containers? Saving money is a good thing, but not when it breeds bacteria and invites insects and rodents. Gross.

1 comment:

James, Rachel and Tenzin said...

Duh, that's why you bring your own Tupperware and Nalgene. Sheesh.