Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Pray for us all.

Don't worry, we're all fine. Except that Lauren is.....WALKING!!!!!

I have a feeling some really bad falls are coming up. She thinks she can go faster than she can, so she's taken a couple of good headers. I don't understand why she doesn't bruise, though. Is that some freakish baby thing? Maybe they fall so much the body's like, "Eh, no point in causing alarm. Many more to come." The only exception is her knees. Since she's started crawling, she has perma-bruises on both knees. I guess that's our own fault for having hardwood floors instead of carpet. They don't seem to bother her, though.

Back to the walking, though. She's been standing and cruising really well for several weeks now. She'd do a sort of controlled fall from one piece of furniture to the next, but would never try to take a step away from anything. Then the Thornburgs came over on Labor Day. Obviously time for Lauren to show off. So, she was standing holding on to her pack and play. Then she let go, and got this look on her face that seemed to say, "Okay, I'm gonna do it. Are you watching? No, really, are you watching? I'm really gonna do it this time!" She looked down at her feet, and took two steps straight into the middle of the room. Then she fell. Of course we were all clapping and making ridiculous parent noises, so no crying. We thought it was a fluke.

Then yesterday I got a call from my mom, who was watching her while Chris and I worked. I picked up the phone, and practically before I could say hello she said, "Your daughter took eight steps! All the way from the couch to the TV!" That's when I knew it was over. All night she kept trying to walk, but kept falling flat on her face. I think she was tired, so her coordination wasn't so good. And she thinks she can run the 100m dash in about 4 seconds, but her feet don't know that.

This is what our living room looked like when she was just crawling.


I can't really imagine a worse end result, but I'm sure Lauren will figure something out.

No comments: