Tuesday, August 21, 2007

**UPDATED**--with pics


Well, I think we've officially survived the summer. After checking my calendar, it appears that we have nothing else planned until Lauren's birthday, over a full month away. Thank goodness!

We spent some time catching up with Chris' sister Brea and her husband Steve over the weekend. They stopped down after visiting some family in Illinois. The nice thing is that we really didn't do anything except sit around and laugh at Lauren for two days.



Seriously, the kid is funny. She's started playing games on her own, now. For example, "Where's Lauren?" Ever since she was a couple months old we'd put a burp cloth over her head and say, "Where's Lauren?" in the required syrupy baby talk voice. We'd keep saying that until she pulled it off her head, and then go, "There she is!" Wow. Thrilling. But it always got a big smile out of her. Now, she'll start the game on her own, and she'll leave the burp cloth or whatever on her head until someone starts saying "Where's Lauren?"


She also has this thing about holding toys she likes at the back of her neck and spinning around in circles while sitting. She's also discovered that there's space underneath things, and lays down on her stomach to look under the couch, pack and play, etc. She's found things that I've been missing for months! And I swear she did the splits yesterday. She's also officially a professional stair climber. So much so that we broke down and bought a baby gate last night. So much for my adult decor. I've decided that my life has gone through design phases, something like this:

1. High School: who cares? I never spent much time in room.
2. College: Monet, Georgia O'Keefe, or any other famous artist, all in paper poster form attached to concrete block walls with putty. I also "checked out" art from the local library. They had framed artwork you could check out for 3 months at a time. Pretty cool, actually.
3. Post-college: non-ripped posters from college, hand-me-downs, whatever wass cheap enough for my first place.
4. Adult, pre-children: Chris and I put our individual styles together to come up with something we really like. We've watched enough design shows on TV to be able to really put a room together. Awesome!
5. Adult, with small children: all decorations, knickknacks, etc. at least 3 feet off the floor; high chairs, pack'n'plays, etc. in the least baby-like pattern possible, but I'm still not fooling anyone; smattering of brighly colored, loud toys throughout the general living space.
6. Who knows what's next?

One of the perks of babyproofing is that I got to take some of Grandma Bilek's pottery in to work. It definitely brightens up my day.

I'll work on getting some pictures and videos to add to this post. Of course this likely will not happen due to Murphy's Law of Parenting #1: nothing cute will ever be caught on film. James has had luck defeating this law so I may seek his guidance.

Update: I still haven't defeated Murphy's Law of Parenting #1, so I cheated and just put some pictures in. Who wants to read a whole page of text?

No comments: