Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It was a Happy Comfest

Whew. I think I've finally caught up on my rest from our busy weekend. Although we went to the NHL Draft, the highlight was Comfest. If you've ever watched a professional sports draft of any kind on TV, you probably know why. It's basically a bunch of old guys in suits sitting at tables. Every 5 minutes or so, one team comes up and announces their pick. That's it. What's crazy about the NHL draft is how young the picks are. Out of the top 30 picks, one was 19 years old and all the rest were 17 or 18. These kids looked like babies. I'm seriously starting to feel old, especially when I realized they were born in years that I vividly remember. Don't believe me? Look at the #1 pick.



So then, on to what many call the best weekend in Columbus. As usual, Comfest had its share of hippies, freaks, children, topless women*, dogs, political activists and the like. Saturday was the adults night out, so we took our blanket and a box of wine to chill and enjoy the scenery. Goodale Park really is nice, but you couldn't tell that on Saturday night. I've never seen so many people at Comfest. How many people were there? The line for the porta-potties was an hour long. We hung around at the festival for maybe an hour, and then the drizzle started. It never really rained, but it was annoying. So, we headed over to visit one of James' friends from college. Did I mention she lives a block from the festival? That was some great people watching in itself...sober people struggling to make it to the park with way too much beer and entertainment stuff, along with very inebriated folks leaving the festival trying to remember where they parked their cars. The evening was topped off by a random guy walking up to us as we stood outside. He just stood there, arms crossed, and stared. He didn't say a word. Just stared...and stared...and stared. We went inside. Then it was home and off to bed.

*According to Ohio law, breasts (male or female) are not a reproductive organ, so exposing them is not considered indecent exposure. So, I could mow the lawn topless if I wanted to. Don't worry, I won't. I don't mow lawns.

Sunday we headed back with Lauren, and the Thornburgs brought Tenzin as well. They were too cute.




Obviously Tenzin fit right in with his hippie garb. Lauren fit in once she soiled her pants 5 minutes after arriving. After that, it was smooth sailing. Sunday's always a nice, mellow day at Comfest, and we could actually get around and pee in a normal amount of time. The usual mix of people was there, including a woman who had back piercings that created a skin corset. Or so I hear. She was balanced out by the "A-OK Lady, Ambassador of Kindness of the USA." (I stole this pic from James...thanks!)




What really amazed me was the number of tiny babies there. The people sitting behind us had a 12 day old baby there. Seriously. 12 days old. I don't know about that.

Anyways, it was a great time, and now comes the countdown to next year. My only suggestion to the Comfest organizers is MORE PORTA POTTIES!!!!!

Finally, on an unrelated note, Lauren has decided she doesn't like wearing shirts. So, what to do? Take it off, of course. She's not quite successful in this attempt, but hey, she's only 9 months old!

No comments: