Friday, February 1, 2008

I heard this morning that United Airlines will start charging $25 for your second checked bag. Interesting move, and I'll be keeping track to see how it pays off. More and more airlines are starting to charge for things that used to be free, like snacks and pillows. That's all fine, since I can go without a little bag of snack mix for $2. They're also charging extra for "premium" seats, like the emergency exit row or the bulkhead, or reserving them for their frequent fliers. Again, fine with me since I don't usually need to sit there. These small moves don't really make them that much more extra money, but charging an extra $25 for your second bag can sure add up quickly. Here's my overall problem with their business model: these savings aren't passed on to the customer.

Want to see an airline that does pass them on? Check out Skybus.

Now, I haven't actually flown on Skybus, so I can't vouch for the quality of the experience. But here's what I do know:
--There are a minimum of 10 seats for $10 on each flight. That's right: I can fly from Columbus to LA for $20 round trip if I act quickly enough (like James and Rachel).
--Your first two checked bags cost $5 each.
--In-flight snacks and drinks are available for purchase, and no outside food is allowed.
--There is no customer service phone number. Skybus is an internet-only company. Controversial, yes. Cost-effective, yes.
--If you want to board first, you pay $10 extra.

So let's add this up. I want to fly to LA for a week. On Skybus, if I act quickly enough, it'll add up like this:
--Round trip ticket, non-stop (before taxes): $20
--Two checked bags: $20
--Preferred boarding: $20
--Total: $60
The same trip on United:
--Round trip ticket (with one stop): $240
--Two checked bags: $25
--Preferred boarding: not available to non-frequent fliers
--Total: $265

It's a no-brainer, if you ask me. The fact that Skybus can do this makes me even angrier every time I shell out $275 for a flight to Minneapolis. Why can't everyone do it? The traditional business model is broken, and at least Skybus is trying to do something about it.

Alright, enough ranting for a Tuesday morning. I'll update again after Lauren's doctor appointment on Thursday. She was supposed to go last week but her doctor had a family emergency. Stay tuned...

No comments: